Bates has a highly knowledgeable and experienced Scientific and Technical staff. We support MIT Faculty and Research Staff and the collaborations in which they participate. We provide crucial support for highly visible and successful projects and continue to be a unique hands-on resource for MIT’s under graduate and graduate students.
- Finite Element Analysis
- Mechanism design
- Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis
- Cryogenic design
Ultra High Vacuum design
- Vector Fields , TOSCA, and POISSON simulation packages
- Utilizing GEM technology
- Cerenkov (utilizing AEROGEL™)
- Complex wire chambers
- Time of flight detectors using various plastics
- Polarized and un-polarized internal target design and fabrication
- Power supply design
- Analog and digital circuit design, simulation and troubleshooting
- Complete Printed Circuit Board layout
- Slow controls (EPICS)
- Detector readout electronics
- FPGA and VHDL programming language
- High Voltage system design
Electrical and Mechanical Engineering groups are very well integrated for collaborative designs. CAD and analysis software is compatible between groups.
- Alignment (surveying)
- Ultra High Vacuum
- Rigging (300 tons)
- High voltage systems
- GEM (Gas Electron Multiplier) fabrication. Activities involved maintaining and working in a Class 1000 clean room.
- Scintillator Detector manufacturing including forming, machining, and gluing.
- Plastic optical fiber termination.
- Construction of fiber based lasers.